Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix


This would be a lot more timely if it felt a little more like winter around here, but I like hot cocoa year round, snow or no snow.  Now I don't know about all of you, but I often find store-bought hot cocoa mixes disappointing.  I usually get my mouth all set for warm, thick, chocolaty goodness and instead end up with a mouthful of something watery and chocolate-ish.  The solution:  make your own, and I think this recipe is just right for it.  For me it's just the right amount of chocolate, but you could certainly doctor it up to your liking using more or less chocolate or dark cocoa powder.  You could even play with the flavor of coffee creamer you use.  I'm drooling over the idea of using amaretto flavored creamer instead of vanilla. 

Be careful to use a good-quality chocolate bar (not baking chocolate, btw) or it won't melt as nicely as it should.  It would be great to put in jars and give away as gifts.  This makes about 3 1/2 cups of mix.

Hot Cocoa Mix

Ingredients:

1 cup cocoa powder (not cocoa drink mix)

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup vanilla flavored coffee creamer (the powder kind)

1 4-oz good-quality chocolate bar

Directions:

Finely chop the chocolate bar.  Combine all ingredients and stir together until well mixed.  To make one serving of hot cocoa, heat 1 cup (8 fl oz) milk to almost boiling.  Add three tablespoons of mix.  Whisk or stir thoroughly until chocolate bits are melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment