Monday, January 17, 2011

Popcorn Popping


According to my calendar of random holidays, Wednesday, January 19th is Popcorn Day.  What a great holiday.  Aside from eating lots and lots of popcorn on Wednesday, I didn't really have many plans to celebrate the holiday.  And then I started thinking about a cute children's song that kids in our church sing, called "Popcorn Popping":

I looked out the window, and what did I see?
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!
Spring had brought me such a nice surprise,
Blossoms popping right before my eyes.
I could take an armful and make a treat,
A popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.
It wasn't really so, but it seemed to be
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.

(Georgia W. Bello, 1957, LDS.)

And then I thought how easy it would be to hot glue some popcorn to a few branches from our yard, stick them in a vase, and call it a Popcorn Day decoration.  My three year old loved helping me with it, especially snacking on the popcorn.  I may even hang on to this for a while and use it as a reminder that spring isn't too far away, and we should see some real blossoms popping on our trees before long.  In the meantime, Happy Popcorn Day!

To make your own, you will need:
A few small, leafless branches (I used three, and the tallest was about 18".)
Popped popcorn (without butter would be best, but we just picked out the whitest ones and ate the rest.)
Hot glue
Vase
Small stones or marbles
Ribbon

Instructions:
Fill the vase with stones or marbles and stick branches in.  Hot glue popcorn (adult's job) onto the branches in random places to simulate blossoms.  Tie a ribbon around the vase to finish, if desired.

1 comment: