Thursday, December 23, 2010

Inspired by 11 Pipers Piping: Candy-Stripe Cookie "Flutes"


I saw this recipe in my Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook ages ago and thought these looked so cute, so I was glad when the pipers piping gave me an excuse to try them out.  I made these cookies thinking they looked a little like flutes.  You can even poke some holes in them while they're still warm to make them more flute-like (see picture below), but I liked them better like this. 

Since this is a Martha recipe I won't post it on my blog, but you can find directions online here.  First, though, some comments people posted on the Martha Stewart site mentioned some trouble they had with these cookies.  I honestly thought they were a lot easier than they looked, and while they didn't turn out as perfectly as hers, I still thought they were fine.  let me just add a few things to make the recipe easier: 

1. I used cereal box cardboard to make my rectangle stencil and it worked great. 
2. When it says to spoon a heaping tablespoon onto the cookie sheet, it just means heaping, not as full as you possibly can fill the spoon. 
3. You want the batter spread fairly thin.  If you feel like you've got too much you can sort of spread the excess onto your stencil and lift it off. 
4. Finally, these can be really hot and hard to roll when they come out of the oven, so if you keep a small bowl of ice water nearby and soak your fingertips in it for a minute before they come out, dry your hands, and then roll the cookies, it helps.  If worse comes to worse, you can just put band aids on all your fingertips to protect them when you roll. ;)

Cookie with flute holes

 
Uncooked batter with stripes

No comments:

Post a Comment